\000 in "octets" attribute?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Thu Jun 15 14:18:37 CEST 2006

Hi,

> Seems to work here, as long as the attribute is of type "octets".

Hm, what exactly do you mean?

> Calling-Station-Id =\000
>
> results in:
>
>         Calling-Station-Id = ""

This is the behaviour I described as fine (the \000 is kicked since it is the
last character, and what remains is a completely empty attribute), and what
your colleague would probably describe as bad: he thinks, the \000 should be
sent in the packet.

Actually, I don't think that Calling-Station-Id is on the wire at all, since
empty attributes are supposed to be suppressed. And that's why the packet
arrives on the server without this attribute:

> Received on the server as:
>
> Packet-Type = Access-Request
> Thu Jun 15 13:55:14 2006
>         User-Name = "ppp1 at example.com"
>         User-Password = "b"
>         NAS-Port-Type = xDSL
>         MS-CHAP-Challenge = 0x00
>         NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
>         Stripped-User-Name = "ppp1"
>         Realm = "example.com"

Since you _want_ the \000 to be sent, I don't see why it "seems to work here"?
Maybe the only thing that would really give clarity about what is really
happening is a pcap capture with ethereal or similar.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg