Configuring unix password/group lookup on FreeBSD

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Jun 16 19:07:06 CEST 2006

Hello all,

      I am trying to get a basic freeradius 1.0.4 server configured to
authenticate users from the local unix password/group databases on a
FreeBSD 6.1 box. The end result is to get ipsec-tools to do user
authentication for some development and testing. I have pared down my
radius.conf file ( probably too much ) to get rid of the modules I
didn't think I needed.

The error I am getting is as follows ...

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:51330, id=102, length=71
         User-Name = "vpntest"
         User-Password = "xxxxxxxxx"
         NAS-IP-Address = 10.22.200.1
         NAS-Port = 0
         NAS-Port-Type = Virtual
         Service-Type = Framed-User
   Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
radius_xlat:  '/var/log/radacct//detail'
rlm_detail: %A/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail expands to
/var/log/radacct//detail
   modcall[authorize]: module "auth_log" returns ok for request 0
modcall: group authorize returns ok for request 0
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 102 to 127.0.0.1:51330
Waking up in 4 seconds...

... I guess I just don't understand how the Auth-Type is selected which
I assume needs to be set to 'unix'? I'm sure its quite obvious by now
that I am not that familiar with configuring radius servers for
authentication. I have attached my radius.conf file in the hope that
some kind sole is willing to educate me in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

-Matthew