Proxy - EAP problems

Wladyslaw Pietraszek wap at cs.aau.dk
Wed Jun 21 17:33:34 CEST 2006

Hi,

We are trying to configure  freeradius (v1.1.2) server hierarchy where
authentication request
are sent  from wireless supplicants (802.1x)  through the proxy radius
server (host 'radius')
to the authentication server (host 'pdc').  We use EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS
and 'ntlm_auth'
feature on the 'pdc' for authentication. The same hierarchy is used for
VPN box authentication
(using LDAP).

Authentication  when access-points use 'pdc' directly works fine for
EAP-PEAP/TTLS.
Authentication  for the topology
    access-point <-> proxy <-> pdc
fails. Probably supplicant/access-point ignores "access-challenge (EAP)"
response.
VPN (LDAP) authentication works fine with proxy (and directly with pdc).

Attached log files for the 'pdc' (pdc_log.txt) and the proxy 'radius'
(radius_log.txt)  - for
failed EAP-PEAP authentication  and successful authentication
directly  against the 'pdc' (pdc_ok_log.txt).

Any suggestions what goes wrong with EAP through the proxy and how to
correct the problem?

Regards,

 W. A. Pietraszek               email: wap at cs.aau.dk
 Computer Science Dept.	        phone: (+45) 96 35 89 07
 Aalborg University             fax: (+45) 98 15 98 89
 Fredrik Bajers Vej 7E , DK-9220 Aalborg, Denmark