Resetting Accounting Records in MySQL

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Thu Jun 22 18:35:18 CEST 2006

Dan Massey <dan at gconnect.net> wrote:
> I work for an isp, and we need to track the users data transfer by calendar
> month. I have FreeRadius/MySQL running on FreeBSD, the final task for me to
> do is work out how to force radius to start a new accounting record in the
> MySQL database which will allow us to do a query by month on the database to
> calculate data transfer. Is there an obvious solution which I am missing?

  Create a new SQL table for each month?  Post-process the accounting
information?

  This really isn't a RADIUS question.  Sessions may "roll over" month
boundaries, and the server doesn't know or care about that.  All it
cares about is sessions.  If you like month boundaries, write SQL
queries or scripts to work on month boundaries.  That's what DB's are
for.

  To put it another way, the server solves the problem of getting data
into a DB.  It is *not* a data analysis or management tool, and never
will be.