Discarding new request - Due to live requests

Christopher Carver ccarver at pennswoods.net
Sat May 13 16:31:36 CEST 2006

Someone on the list can correct me if I'm wrong.  But I always thought this
message meant that the radius server didn't respond as fast as the NAS had
expected, so, the NAS re-sent the request.  Then the radius server ended up
with 2 identical requests.  Its discarding the one, and acting upon the other.
Now this delayed response by the radius server could very well be caused by
trouble with your backend db, hardware, or whatever.

I see this message on occasion, as I have a VERY high traffic radius server.  8
to 10 requests per second at peak hours.  It never causes my radius server to
stop working completely, and none of my end users even see a problem because
the radius server acts appropriately with the new request.

Chris Carver
Pennswoods.Net
Network Engineer