Freeradius and 2 ldap servers.

Terry J Fike Jr tfike at mtasolutions.com
Wed May 17 19:21:25 CEST 2006

Okay, since this isn't easy to piece together from the docs. (and no one
has posted this on the mailing list that i've seen, and i've gotten a
few emails on this as well)

here is how i got freeradius running good failover with 2 ldap servers.
hopefully those who know the system better than me will let me/us (the
list) know if i've done something wrong here.

in the ldap section you'll have:
ldap ldap1 {
  server = <ip>
  identity = <>

  ldap ldap2 {
  <second server info>
}

then in the instantiate section put
ldap1
ldap2

then in authorize you'll have:

redundant {
   ldap1
   ldap2
}

and in authenticate you'll have:

  Auth-Type LDAP {
    redundant {
      ldap1
      ldap2

that is what worked for me.
now one thing to consider/think about.  it appears whichever server is
listed secondly (in instantiate, authorize, and authenticate, will be
hit first)  not sure why this is...and it may not be important
--
Terry J Fike Jr
System Administrator
tfike at mtasolutions.com