More coredumps, FreeBSD 5.4 / FR 1.1.1

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Wed May 17 20:00:20 CEST 2006

> "Chris Knipe" <savage at savage.za.org> wrote:
>> [Switching to Thread 1 (LWP 100079)]
>> 0x282f2677 in memset () from /lib/libc.so.5
>> (gdb) back
>> #0  0x282f2677 in memset () from /lib/libc.so.5
>> #1  0x09afc4c0 in ?? ()
>> #2  0x286e5cb5 in sql_init_socket (sqlsocket=3D0x70657270, =
>> config=3D0x9d02600)=20
>> at sql_mysql.c:71
>
>  I've seen that before on FreeBSD.  I have no idea why it's
> happening.  Maybe try the "branch_1_1" code from CVS?

Hi Alan,

Don't know if this would help you track it down... I
recompiled --without-threads, it seems to have solved the *original*
problem.

Are threads deemed to be stable yet in 1.1.1?  If so, can it be rechecked?
What I'm picking up:

MySQL 5.0.21, Muli Threaded
Perl 5.8.8, Multi Threaded
FR 1.1.1, Debug

I don't know the order in which these modules load, so you'll sort that out
better than me... But...
FR with Theads, cores loading rlm_sql_mysql
FR without Theads, loads rlm_sql_mysql, BUT, now cores loading rlm_perl

I kind of find it strange that it's only with threaded applications that
this is happening... I know that FreeBSD *had* issues in the past with
threads, but that is long since gone  MySQL Multi-Threaded is quite normal
on FreeBSD, and Threaded Perl is also pretty stable these days (according to
the mailing lists).  Could it be that FR maybe has issues with it?

Right now, without rlm_perl and FreeRadius in a single-threaded compile, I
have no issues... When I change FR to multi-threaded rlm_sql_mysql crash,
when FR is single threaded, rlm_perl (because I have a threaded perl
compile) cores...

The trace for the rlm_perl crash:
read_config_files:  reading dictionary
read_config_files:  reading naslist
read_config_files:  reading clients
read_config_files:  reading realms
radiusd:  entering modules setup
Module: Library search path is /usr/local/lib

0x281c3e2d in perl_init () at rlm_perl.c:602
602             PL_perl_destruct_level = 2;
(gdb) bt
#0  0x281c3e2d in perl_init () at rlm_perl.c:602
#1  0x08052062 in find_module_instance ()
#2  0x08052414 in setup_modules ()
#3  0x08054d36 in main ()

--
Chris.