distinction between users on different AP (talking to the same radius server)

K. Hoercher wbhoer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 10:54:18 CET 2006

On 11/19/06, liran tal <liransgarage at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to spread several access points in different locations (they all talk
> to a central radius) and then i want to distinct one location from another
> for example user foo can login from either location but id like to make the
> distinction from which ap he got connected from... whats the best way to do
> that?

I won't assert something about the following being the best way, but I
would normally think of some rules in hints and/or users file matching
on pertinent combinations of User-Name, NAS-IP-Address,
Called-Station-Id etc. depending on the setup you actually want to
implement.

> I was thinking of one method which is to configure in each AP a different
> subnet mask for the DHCP allocations
> and then make the distinction based on that but I'm looking for a more
> elegant way.

As a side note to that: while I don't have a clear understanding of
what the meaning of "different subnet mask"s in that context could
possibly be, under sort of normal circumstances dhcp would happen
after users' machines associate/authenticate on an ap.

regards
K. Hoercher