Windows Vista doing PEAP

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Oct 21 01:41:37 CEST 2006

Josh Howlett wrote:
>>   Again, I have no idea why it's core dumping.  It shouldn't be.  I
>> don't have Vista, and I can't debug this issue myself.  It's up to you.
>
> Sorry - I've come late to this thread. Do we have a general problem with
> Vista failing to authenticate against FR, or is this just one instance
> failing, and we know of other instances where it is working?

It's a general problem.

Sadly the "netsh ras set tracing * enable" thing seems not to be present
or work under the vista RCs we've looked at and there was little of
value in the event logs so the cause is somewhat hard to pin down. It's
definitely PEAP (as opposed to EAP-TLS) related.

Knowing MS they've made a TLV that was previously optional, mandatory,
or similar. Given the problems seems to be windows-centred, someone with
more windows experience may need to get info from the client as to why
*it* thinks things are going awry