HUP causes crashes [was: Error: ERROR: Tunnel-Password attribute in request]

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 18:20:07 CEST 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:
> B Thompson <bt4 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/htdig/freeradius-users/2006-March/051856.html
>
>   A short work-around (i.e. hack) may be to not reload everything on HUP.
>
>   Why are you HUPing it so often?

I realise this question wasn't directed to me, but the reason we HUP it
so often is to reload a *large* rlm_passwd map in response to users
registering and de-registering for things, and users being blocked and
unblocked.

I realise in theory an SQL lookup might make more sense, but frankly
we've found SQL in FreeRadius to be less-than reliable in the past, and
it's certainly never going to be anything like as fast as rlm_passwd.
Largely these issues were to do with peak load scaling and MVCC issues
in Postgres (MySQL not being an option).

It's my intention to write and contribute an rlm_tdb module at some
point when I have the free time (ha!) which would allow update processes
to write to the binary map file whilst FR is running e.g.

modules
   tdb mac2zone {
     file = %{confdir}/mac2zone.tdb
     key = "Calling-Station-Id"