freeradius and ntlm_auth howto

King, Michael MKing at bridgew.edu
Fri Oct 27 16:36:00 CEST 2006

Let's see if we can get this solved...

This is NOT the full log.  The full log would have started with the line
/path/to/radiusd -X

Some important stuff is printed out there, it helps us help you.

>   rlm_mschap: NT Domain delimeter found, should we have
> enabled with_ntdomain_hack?
>   rlm_mschap: NT Domain delimeter found, should we have
> enabled with_ntdomain_hack?

Did you enable Ntdomain Hack in the MSCHAP module?  (See below)

Including your radius.conf file would help.

> > HOWEVER, first you may want to check your mschap module definition:
> >
> > modules {
> >    mschap {
> >      ntlm_auth = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth \
> >   --request-nt-key \
> >   --username=%{mschap:User-Name:-None} \
> >   --domain=%{mschap:NT-Domain:-None} \
> >   --challenge=%{mschap:Challenge:-00} \
> >   --nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}"
> >
> > ...all on one line of course. Note the use of the
> "mschap:User-Name"
> > and "mschap:NT-Domain" values.

Mine radiusd.conf file's mschap section looks like this:
NOTE that I do NOT have the :-00 and the :-None statements, and I DO
have with_ntdomain_hack=yes

        # Microsoft CHAP authentication
        #
        #  This module supports MS-CHAP and MS-CHAPv2 authentication.
        #  It also enforces the SMB-Account-Ctrl attribute.
        #
        mschap {
                with_ntdomain_hack = yes
			ntlm_auth = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth \