Another Installation Problem

Dennis Skinner dskinner at bluefrog.com
Tue Oct 31 23:50:42 CET 2006

kbajwa wrote:
> Dennis:
>
> I have already done that. The first link is 'download', which takes to the
> download site. The first link is 'download', and when I CLICK on it, I get
> to the 'download' page. The first file todownload is:
>
> # 2006.08.22 freeradius-1.1.3.tar.bz2, (currently released version: 1.1.3)
>
> Please note the extension 'bz2'!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please note the tar extension before the bz2!!!!!!!!

> I have been to this page several times before posting. This download file is
> not the 'tar' file from which I install. This is a file from which we
> extract a freeradius-1.1.3 folder.
>
> Please try again and re-direct to the 'tar' file from which I can do the
> installation!!

Wow....that last sentence was kinda snarky.  You want help right?

This is not a FreeRADIUS question.  This is a basic unix/linux question.

Please go purchase a Linux User Manual of some sort.

In the meantime, that *is* the tarball.  tar = archived into a single
file (ie uncompressed).  bz2 means that tarball is zipped.  You will
almost never find an unzipped tarball on the net.  They will either be
gz or bz2 files.

Get the file.

tar xvjf filename.tar.bz2

that will unzip and extract it.

Again, please go get a book....if you don't understand the system, how
can you install and support a service running on it?

And to save some other poor list the aggravation....if you download a gz
file (as opposed to bz2) the command is slightly different:

tar xvzf file.tar.gz

"man tar" is your friend.

--
Dennis Skinner