Probs with pppoe-server + radius

Ali Jawad alijawad1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 09:16:59 CEST 2006

Hi Guys

Iam using freeradius on a debian sarge box. I use the following :

noccbox:~# freeradius -v
freeradius: FreeRADIUS Version 1.1.2, for host , built on Jul  2 2006 at
11:19:11

noccbox:~# uname -a
Linux noccbox 2.6.8-3-686 #1 Sat Jul 15 10:32:25 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

I have dialup-admin installed and configured sql.conf accordingly.

I have downloaded NTRadping and added my windows machine to the
/etc/raddb/clients file. Then I sent an authenication request using my
root password "WITH CHAP TURNED OFF". It was successfull and I got the
following reply.

Sending authenication request to server 192.168.1.1:1812
Transmitting packet, code=1 id=12 length=44
receied reponse from server in 16 milliseconds
reply packet code=2 id = 12 length=20
reponse: Access-Accept

Then I did the same test with "CHAP TURNED ON" the test failed and
returned the following:

Sending authenication request to server 192.168.1.1:1812
Transmitting packet, code=1 id=13 length=45
receied reponse from server in 2000 milliseconds
reply packet code=3 id = 13 length=20
reponse: Access-Reject

The info above is to help you guys in helping me pinpoint my prolem, my
real problem is that I can dial into my server using pppoe and simple
chap and/or pap authenication. However once I use radius to authenicate
the pppoe-dialup requests into the server. I get the following output in
pppd.log

Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
rc_read_mapfile: can't read /etc/radiusclient/port-id-map: No such file
or directory
RADIUS: Can't read map file /etc/radiusclient/port-id-map
Peer root failed CHAP authentication
Connection terminated.
pppoe: read (asyncReadFromPPP): Session 4: Input/output error
Terminating on signal 15
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
Terminating on signal 15
Connection terminated.
Modem hangup
pppoe: read (asyncReadFromPPP): Session 5: Input/output error

Any help would be welcome.