Authenticate users against the passwd module?

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Tue Sep 19 22:00:32 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:05:56AM -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Scott Lambert <lambert at lambertfam.org> wrote:
> > I am trying to get the ability to authenticate users from a few
> > different password databases on the same server.
>
>   But the database doesn't actually perform the authentication...
>
> > radiusd.conf: "passwd" modules aren't allowed in 'authenticate'
> > sections -- they have no such method. radiusd.conf[1919] Failed to
> > parse "myshadow" subsection.
> >
> > Maybe that's a bug in 1.1.2?
>
>   No.  It's intentional.  The "passwd" module pulls passwords from a
> file.  Another module does the actual comparison.
>
>   In 1.1.3, you may have to set 'Auth-Type := Crypt'.  In the CVS
> head, this is done automatically via the PAP module.

My first interpretation, add a DEFAULT to the users file with
"Auth-Type := Crypt" was apparantly wrong:

Module: Loaded files
 files: usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/users"
 files: acctusersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/acct_users"
 files: preproxy_usersfile = "/usr/local/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
 files: compat = "no"
/usr/local/etc/raddb/users[148]: Parse error (check) for entry DEFAULT: Unknown value Crypt for attribute Auth-Type
Errors reading /usr/local/etc/raddb/users
radiusd.conf[1068]: files: Module instantiation failed.
radiusd.conf[1828] Unknown module "files".
radiusd.conf[1763] Failed to parse authorize section.

So, instead, I changed radiusd.conf's myshadow definition to
"authtype = Crypt", but authentication still isn't happening.

Module: Loaded passwd
 passwd: filename = "/home/lambert/shadow.txt"
 passwd: format = "*User-Name:Crypt-Password::Group:::::"
 passwd: authtype = "Crypt"
 passwd: delimiter = ":"
 passwd: ignorenislike = yes
 passwd: ignoreempty = yes
 passwd: allowmultiplekeys = no
 passwd: hashsize = 100
rlm_passwd: nfields: 9 keyfield 0(User-Name) listable: no
Module: Instantiated passwd (myshadow)
Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
 acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address, Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port"
Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
Module: Loaded detail
 detail: detailfile = "/var/log/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"
 detail: detailperm = 384
 detail: dirperm = 493
 detail: locking = no
Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
Module: Loaded radutmp
 radutmp: filename = "/var/log/radutmp"
 radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
 radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
 radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
 radutmp: perm = 384
 radutmp: callerid = yes
Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
Listening on authentication *:1645
Listening on accounting *:1646
Listening on proxy *:1647
Ready to process requests.
rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1:2955, id=112, length=66
        Service-Type = Authenticate-Only
        User-Name = "bdtucker"
        User-Password = "{correctPasword}"
        NAS-IP-Address = 65.66.76.4
        NAS-IP-Address = 127.0.0.1
  Processing the authorize section of radiusd.conf
  modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
  modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "bdtucker", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: Found realm "NULL"
    rlm_realm: Adding Stripped-User-Name = "bdtucker"
    rlm_realm: Proxying request from user bdtucker to realm NULL
    rlm_realm: Adding Realm = "NULL"
    rlm_realm: Authentication realm is LOCAL.
  modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
  modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns noop for request 0
    users: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 152
  modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
rlm_passwd: Added Crypt-Password: 'sF*4/CZQF8saE' to config_items
rlm_passwd: Added Group: '0' to config_items
  modcall[authorize]: module "myshadow" returns ok for request 0
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns ok) for request 0
  rad_check_password:  Found Auth-Type System
auth: type "System"
  Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 0
  modcall[authenticate]: module "unix" returns notfound for request 0
modcall: leaving group authenticate (returns notfound) for request 0
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Delaying request 0 for 1 seconds
Finished request 0
Going to the next request
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Waking up in 1 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Sending Access-Reject of id 112 to 127.0.0.1 port 2955
Waking up in 3 seconds...
--- Walking the entire request list ---
Cleaning up request 0 ID 112 with timestamp 451042ad
Nothing to do.  Sleeping until we see a request.

I appologize for being so dense.  In which config file / section should
I try adding the Auth-Type := Crypt statement?

lambert at lambertfam.org