rlm_ldap and 'unencrypted' connections

Thibault Le Meur Thibault.LeMeur at supelec.fr
Thu Sep 21 18:55:40 CEST 2006

ine doc/rlm_ldap I've read:
<quote>
#       identity: DN under which LDAP searches are done password: pasword
#       which authenticate this DN default: anonymous bind, no password
#       required NOTE: searches are done now over unencrypted connection!
</quote>

I'm especially concerned about the 'searches are done now over
unencrypted connection!' sentence.

Does this mean that even if I use "start_tls = yes", searches will be
performed unencrypted ?

If yes, isn't the following procedure a way to enforce encryption on
searches ?
* do not use "start_tls = yes"
* use "port = 636" and/or "tls_mode = yes"
* have your ldap server reply only to port 636 in ldaps.

Thanks in advance,
Thibault