num_sql_socks

Kris htckav at htc.net
Fri Sep 22 23:02:04 CEST 2006

>> In the tuning guide, where it states "Tune the num_sql_socks to be larger than the
number
>> of simultaneous authentication/accounting requests" does this mean if I have 6700 user
>> accounts, I would want to set the num_sql_socks to be larger than that since it is
>> possible that all will try to connect at one time, say given, a network
>> outage/reinstatement?

>it means set it to be as many requests as you let FreeRADIUS deal with
>max_servers is involved here - as is max_requests. if you have a maximum
>of 32 freeradius threads dealing with requests then you really need
>that number of SQL connections...or the SQL is your bottle-neck

>alan
>-
>List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Last stupid question for me then... I'm trying to figure out why my freeradius/mysql locks
up when we return from a network outage w/ thousands of simultaneous requests.  I assumed
because I'm a MySQL novice it was because of my MySQL settings causing slow responses.
I've checked the indexes, ran the select/update statements through explain, even set up
slow query logging, and I'm not finding an issue (ie it didn't jump out and bite me)  I'm
in the process of adding a replication server for backup SQL for freeradius, but from what
I've read, it seems Freeradius w/ MySQL should be able to handle it even on one system.
Any suggestions on what I may be overlooking or should be testing?