Freeradius is not restarting properly (fails to quit and becomes a zombie process)

James Wakefield jamesw at deakin.edu.au
Fri Sep 29 03:14:18 CEST 2006

Jason Wittlin-Cohen wrote:
> Over the last few days I've been having a recurring problem. Whenever I
> start Freeradius either with radiusd in a terminal or as a service in
> Debian, I can not restart/kill radiusd properly if it's authenticated
> any clients. Restarting the service says it's successful but the radius
> log states that port 1812 is already in use. "top" shows 100% cpu usage
> after I attempt to restart radiusd. In addition, kill will not work. I
> need to use kill -9. No errors are thrown when I try to kill it in debug
> mode either. It just says exiting and sits there but doesn't die.

Howdy Jason,

Might you get any useful info by running radiusd with strace?

Cheers,

--
James Wakefield,
Unix Administrator, Information Technology Services Division

Phone: 03 5227 8690 International: +61 3 5227 8690
Fax:   03 5227 8866 International: +61 3 5227 8866
E-mail:   james.wakefield at deakin.edu.au
Website:  http://www.deakin.edu.au