Segmentation fault on sigHUP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 11 16:02:15 CEST 2007

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>>   To back up a bit, *why* are you HUPing the server?
>
> I usually HUP servers to force them to re-read their configuration
> without forcing the server to restart.

  Well, yes.  But *what* are you changing?  Clients?  Realms?  Comments?

> Do you have in mind a favorite technique for signaling daemons that
> the config files have changed?  HUP is a common way to do it, but I'm
> sure there are other ways.

  A command-line tool that uses some other method to update the server
configuration.  It means that the server gets told "X has changed", or
"delete client Y", which is hugely less intrusive than a HUP.

  HUPs are like kicking the server in the head, and then expecting it to
be nice to you.  It can be done, but it takes work.