Segmentation fault on sigHUP

Milan Holub holub at thenet.ch
Wed Apr 11 16:15:40 CEST 2007

Hi Alan,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 03:45:18PM +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Milan Holub wrote:
> > somewhere in this list there was already mentioned that current CVS
> > version causes segmentation fault when received HUP signal(kill -HUP pid) - depending on
> > the configuration it may survive 1st HUP and then it dies with 1st
> > radius request/2nd HUP).
>
>   To back up a bit, *why* are you HUPing the server?

==> main reason for HUP is for me when the configuration gets updated
    ==> yes it could be restarted as well but consider following:

- we are keeping NAS entries in DB.
- these entries are edited by operation guys via web interface
- when a new NAS entry is added then we need to reload/restart
  freeradius
- we reload freeradius using SNMP write query(can be done via web
  interface as well; without need of ssh to radius server)

==> using this approach simplifies "daily configuration" tasks on
freeradius and I believe it's secure enough(snmp write allowed only from
management machine) and elegant(as opposed to executing remote commands
from within management server using ssh for example)

In general when restarting the server you might loose some radius
packets(especially on high loaded server), don't you? Thus I thing from
this point of view HUP feature is useful and should be kept.

>   Maybe we can add features that prevent the need for the HUP, and then
> remove support for HUP.  That would be best, I think.

==> what do you imagine under these "features"? Basically I thought HUP
is good for reloading config files when one does not want to bring the
server down but wants to bring into effect some minor config change.
==> is there any other use of HUP?

>   Alan DeKok.
> --
>   http://deployingradius.com       - The web site of the book