O'Reillys Radius Book - Worth buying

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:54:10 CEST 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>> I just got this one
>> http://books.theregister.co.uk/catalog/browse.asp?id=746814&group=9880&subcat=8&cat=B
>>
>> Initial flickings through,  suggest it's quite indepth .
>
>   I've seen that.  It has 300+ pages, and 40 pages on RADIUS.  I had a
> hard time reading it, to be honest.  Long paragraphs, long sentences,
> convoluted explanations.
>
>   If you're looking for a "howto" book, the O'Reilly book is *much* more
> suited to that purpose.  If you're looking for a book that gives you an
> overview of ongoing research in AAA, the Wiley book is good.
>
>   If you're looking for concepts that aren't covered anywhere else, my
> book (when I'm eventually done) will do that.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> --
>   http://deployingradius.com       - The web site of the book
>   http://deployingradius.com/blog/ - The blog

Yes, they're generally pretty good for that.

What put me off the O'Rielly book was it's age.. Although I only started
using FreeRADIUS with 1.1.4 , i've seen pretty rapid development.
So I was concerned about how much relevance a book published in 2002 has
today.

There are also amazingly useful, mostly undocumented features like SQL
Xlat, which won't be covered anywhere except the mailing list archives.

But I guess for theory reference books are still pretty good :)

Oh Btw on a completely unrelated subject, if you fix the 'Use
Client-Ip-Address/ Packet-Src-IP-Address attribute as a check item' then
I can push the CVS head out live and give you some proper feedback ;)

--
Arran Cudbard-Bell (ac221 at sussex.ac.uk)
Authentication Authorisation & Accounting Officer