O'Reillys Radius Book - Worth buying

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 16:15:24 CEST 2007

Hi,
> Hi, Im just getting started with freeradius (trying to nut out dynamic
> vlans atm) and I was wondering if this book would be a worth while
> purchase.
>
> I had a great experience with O'reillys bind and perl cookbook books.
> Have any FR users used this book and if so your comments would be
> appreciated.

the O'Reilly book is a good resource if you are starting from minimal
RADIUS knowledge and want a bit more background. ie its good for beginners
through to experts. especially if you need to remind yourself of, eg,
the exact structure of accounting packets. however it was written at the
time of FreeRADIUS 0.9 - and is therefore a little dated with regards
to some of the newer modules and methods....also password expressions.
however it is a good fundamental start.

for FreeRADIUS you cant go much better than the current deployingradius
site, source tarball docs and historical mailing archives - and
Alans forthcoming book!  ;-)

alan