Autotools related problems in freeradius 1.1.6

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 23 16:39:22 CEST 2007

Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:
> If I do
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/freeradius
>
> the build scripts presume that --enable-developer is true.

  That may be an issue only in 1.1.6.  You should be able to change it
by doing --disable-developer.

> This has
> the effect that -DNDEBUG is not defined in CFLAGS during compilation,
> among other things, so the rad_assert() function can abort freeradius
> operation in production environments.

  Which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Yes, it's bad for your RADIUS
server to go down.  It's arguably worse for the RADIUS server to keep
running, and doing... something... after it notices that internal sanity
checks have failed.

> I believe that by default, --enable-developer should be false unless
> explicitly set during configure. Moreover, in a Solaris 9 environment
> --enable-developer or --disable-developer seem to be ignored and
> someone should define CFLAGS explicitly in the configure command to
> define -NDEBUG macro.
>
> Let me know if you need anything else to trace the issue.

  It's just a couple of lines of shell scripting in configure.in.