No available IP Addresses in the pool ...

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 30 17:37:17 CEST 2007

Florin wrote:
> FreeRadius 1.0.1 from RHEL 4.

  I wonder what it would take to convince RedHat to use a version that
wasn't almost THREE YEARS out of date.

> I get the following error (only shown in debug mode) after 1-2 weeks of
> server working fine, without any issues:
>
> rlm_ippool: Searching for an entry for nas/port: 172.25.254.218/9931392
> rlm_ippool: No available ip addresses in pool.
>    modcall[post-auth]: module "<pool_name>" returns notfound for request 0
>
> The outcome of this error is that the client is not issued any IP
> address (which is a show stopper).

  Maybe the pool really is full?  If the server doesn't get logout
packets, it will not be able to release IP's.  See also
"rlm_ippool_tool" for how to release IP's.

> Any thoughts of what could be wrong ?

  Ask Redhat to use a recent version, among other things.