Freeradius as a proxy to Windows IAS - reserved characters in shared secret?

clive gould cliveg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:10:41 CEST 2007

Hi

Thanks once again for all the advice :-)

Does anyone know if there some characters that are reserved i.e cannot
be used in secret keys with a freeradius server. If so what are they?

I've been experimenting with the radtest client and the freeradius
server using local unix validation with interesting results.

1) If I use a secret key (16+ characters and the same key in both the
radtest client and freeradius clients.conf) that contains pure alpha
characters the key is accepted and authorisation is successful.

2) If I use a secret key (similar to the one set on the IAS server)
containing characters such as $\[ then the key is rejected and
authorisation is unsuccessful. I have tried enclosing the key in
single and double quotes, but the key is still rejected.

Hopefully getting nearer to a solution...

Thanks very much

Clive