NAS's and client's? what's the difference and where are they and where defined?

Kevin Bailey kbailey at freewayprojects.com
Mon Aug 6 15:46:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have Debian Etch installed with Freeradius and dialupadmin packages.

Versions are

ii  freeradius                  1.1.3-3                     a
high-performance and highly configurable RADIUS server
ii  freeradius-dialupadmin      1.1.3-3                     set of PHP
scripts for administering a FreeRADIUS server
ii  freeradius-mysql            1.1.3-3                     MySQL module
for FreeRADIUS server

Now two months ago I set the system up and it authenticates an Epygi
VOIP box and keeps accounts records for the calls made.

Now I need to carry out further work - I had got things working but
never fully cleared it in my head.

My questions are fundemental.

What are the differences between clients and NAS's? - Where should they
be defined?

I seem to have been able to connect the client box by adding an entry
into client.com

# 03/05/2007 - kbailey
# Test connection to AF-IT Epygi box.
client quadro.af-it.com {
        secret          = password
        shortname       = afit_test
        nastype         = epygi
}

But this is not showing up under the NAS list in the dialupadmin
interface - under Radius clients, NAS administration.

Also, I see that the /etc/freeradius/naslist file is deprecated in
favour of clients.conf - but there is also a
/etc/freeradius-dialupadmin/naslist.conf file.  This has some default
servers in it.

I'm almost tempted to think that the /etc/freeradius/clients.conf file
is the only file which should be used - but I've heard that there are
two things which are separate - clients and NAS's.

Also, why are there the two references in the dialupadmin app - on web
page and in naslist.conf?

Thanks,

Kevin

--