Radiusd.conf & dictionary troubleshooting

Dan Jones jonesfragment at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:00:11 CEST 2007

Hi all and thanks ahead of time for any responders.

The scenario: I have been given the task to install a radius server on a
Linux platform.  After doing some research, I went with Fedora Core 6 and
FreeRadius-1.1.7.  It's currently running on my HP Laptop for configuring
and testing.  As for my strength with Linux, I am a novice but learning
quickly just by the amount of work I have done so far with this system.

As for the guide I have been following so far for a lot of my work:
http://www.jrdcorp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=46

I have also reviewed several other sites along the way for cross checking
information, file names, locations, and etc.

After the installation of Fedora Core 6, I updated the system and installed
with yum the: openssl-perl, mysql, and libnet.  All work has been done under
root privilege.

So now, on to the trouble code lines.  This is the first part of trouble I
had but I think I was able to fix it since I didn't see some of these lines
again, this is not my actual trouble part.  It will follow below this.
After checking all my certificates and checking locations, such as CA.all,
certs.sh, CA.certs, I get to the point of starting up the radius server.
While in the /etc/init.d directory I do, radiusd -s -X

rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined. Did you mean output=none?
rlm_eap_tls: Loading the certificate file as a chain
rlm_eap_tls: SSL error error 00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)
rlm_eap_tls: Error reading Trusted root CA list
rlm_eap: Failed to initialize type tls
radius.conf[10]: eap: Module instantiation failed
radius.conf[1939] Unknown module "eap".
radius.conf[1886] Failed to parse authentication section

The SSL error I gathered after researching is ignorable, no errors actually
occurred? Anyways, I did some trouble shooting and it looks like a lot was
resolved since I didn't see some of these lines again.

Now for the last couple lines that I am having trouble with and can't figure
out.  The last error problems I have seen by running /radiusd -s -X

read_config_files: reading directory
Errors reading dictionary: dict_init: /etc/raddb/dictionary[14]: Couldn't
open dictionary "/usr/local/share/freeradius/dictionary": No such file or
directory
Errors reading radius.conf

For my first troubleshooting and seeing what might work, I copied the
dictionary file, i think from the raddb directory, should have made a note,
to the directory that the dictionary file points to.  The result of that was
the same message except for the "No such file or directory", I got a: To
many open files.
So I canceled that idea and I am stuck with that line.
Now for the radiusd.conf file..... I have no clue at all what could be wrong
with this.  I have checked the radius.log files and it reports the same
printouts I have seen but doesn't go any farther.

Can anyone possibly shine a light on the direction to go with this?  Thanks
a lot