Radius is running away with the CPU

David david at speedyquick.net
Wed Aug 15 05:33:31 CEST 2007

I have verified that the database can run all of the queries quickly. I was
having trouble running radiusd -X (it was slow ) but radiusd -x was better
but the thread count and load average would run up.  At you suggest I ran in
debugging mode -X again and this time notice that it was pausing for a while
before out put the lines. So I am guessing that problem lies somewhere in
the accounting module radutmp.  I commented out the line radutmp in the
accounting section of the radiusd.conf.  Now things seem to be running
smoothly.  I looked at the radutmp file and noticed it is 450 MB.  I thought
the size of it could be an issue. So I deleted it and restart radiusd with
the radutmp commented back in. Things look for the moment to be going
smoothly but once that file grows in size again it may be a problem.  So
what would cause that file to get so big? I notice in the radiusd.conf it
mentions in the session section that "The rlm_sql module is *much* faster"
the default configuration uses radutmp.  If I change it to sql then I could
leave the radutmp commented out of the accounting section and still be able
to do simultaneous checking, right?

David

modcall[accounting]: module "radutmp" returns ok for request 4
modcall: group accounting returns ok for request 4
Sending Accounting-Response of id 13 to 192.168.0.10:2789
Finished request 4