Calling-Station-ID

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 28 12:02:34 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 19:00 -0500, Stefan Adams wrote:
> Is there anyway that I can rewrite the Calling-Station-ID to the name
> of the PC instead of the MAC address?  This table can be found in LDAP

In which case, you might be able to do it in the hints file with an
ldap: xlat

DEFAULT	Calling-Station-Id =~ "..-..-..-..-..-.."
	Calling-Station-Id := "%{ldap:LDAPQUERY}"

LDAPQUERY would be something like:

ldap:///dc=dom,dc=com?machineName?sub?macAddress=%{Calling-Station-Id}

I don't recommend it though - keeping the CLID around is very useful.

>  or even in DHCP.  Is there a way to call an external program that
> will provide the rewrite rules such that the log shows:
>   Login OK: [username] (from client switch port 0 cli PCName)
> Instead of:
>   Login OK: [username] (from client switch port 0 cli
> 00-11-22-33-44-55)

If I were you, I'd also stop relying on the radiusd.log - it's a pretty
poor logging mechanism. Use a "detail" or "sql" module in "post-auth",
and then you can extend the queries to do whatever you like, including
log extra attributes