freeradius + ad

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 10:19:24 CEST 2007

Hi,

> I have taken 1.1.6 version.

why? oh dear why?!?  1.1.7 is the latest 1.1.x release and its
there for many many reasons.  i dont grab Linux 0.9 kernel if
i want to run a Linux server.

> I am not very clear on configuring the files.
> First we are going to do dummy testing.

for very very basic testing you only need to edit 3 files

radiusd.conf   - set the userid,groupid and listen directive
                 (and thats it! leave the rest alone!)

clients.conf - edit the 127.0.0.1 entry
eg

client 127.0.0.1 {
        secret          = the_secret_i_put_into_clients.conf
        shortname       = localhost
        nastype     = other

users - at the very top add a test user.... eg
        my_Test_user_00x1  Cleartext-Password := "bigf439qyft789"

that should be it.  you can then use, eg radtest, to check its alive.
so open 2 terminal windows... in one, type  radiusd -X  (to run freeradius
in full debugging) and in the other type

radtest  my_Test_user_00x1 bigf439qyft789 localhost 1812 the_secret_i_put_into_clients.conf

> Can we give a file name as the argument in the command line while using
> radtest? If so How to use?

man radclient

radtest is a little more basic. its the 'basic freeradius 101' test tool

alan