NT Passwords

Andreas Moroder andreas.moroder at sb-brixen.it
Mon Dec 17 16:00:49 CET 2007

Hello,

we would like to activate PEAP authentication with openLDAP.

According to radiusd.conf

#Note that NT-Passwords MUST be stored as a 32-digit hex
#  string, and MUST start off with "0x", such as:
#
#       0x000102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f
#
#  Without the leading "0x", NT-Passwords will not work.
#  This goes for NT-Passwords stored in SQL, too.

The problem is that samba itself and othe management tools like webmin
store the NT and the LM password as 32.digit hex string but without the
0x. I tried to add the 0x but the logon to main domain does not work
with this added.
Is there a good reason why freeradius needs a differen tformat then samba ?

Thanks
Andreas