How to enable Freeradius to support a smart card with AES encryption algorithm?

yao guoxian yaoguoxian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:28:13 CET 2007

Thanks, Alan.
But I have lots of problems.
First, what is difference between challenge-response and chap?In my opinion,
challenge-response is a authentication mechanism and flow while chap is a
method to hide and transport user' password. In challenge-response, the
random challenge is produced by the radius server and has not length limited
while the 16 bytes random authenticator used in chap is produced by the  NAS
or the  client. Is  that  right?

Second,suppose we have enabled the NAS(client) and Freeradius to support our
specified attribute "My-Aes-Password" , how to write the new module to
handle the attribute? Is it like follows:
    1. code a program like
freeradius-parth/src/modules/rlm_example/rlm_exmple.c and name it as
rlm_aes;
    2. compile it and store the aes.exe file in  the /bin/ directory;
    3. edit the radiusd.conf as follow:
        #in the modules section
        exec aes{
                wait = yes;
                program ="/bin/aes %My_Aes_Password "
                input_pairs = request
                output_pairs = reply
       authorize {
             preprocess
             chap
             mschap
             suffix
             sql
             aes
   or we needn't compile the rlm_aes.c and just leave it to the Freeradius
to do what need to do ?

   Third , how to enable Freeradius and Nas(client) to support our new
attribute?Does it need to append the dictionary file a new entry?

regards
Guoxian