VLAN assigment and Alcatel Omniswitch 7800

Oxiel Contreras oxielc at yahoo.it
Fri Feb 9 12:25:55 CET 2007

Hello Jeremy.

> Have you checked the documentation for the Omniswitch to verify that it
> supports this?  If I send back the same attributes on my wireless access
> points, it works perfectly (we do this in production).  The AP's, however,
> support that.

I'll check it again, it's became difficult to talk to tech support from
Alcatel, in the mean time they've told me that i'll need some sort of license
to support vlan assignment, i think they call it "Authenticated VLAN", even
more, they've suggested me another radius server "Steel-Belted Radius" from
Funk Software which now happens to be part of Juniper, disgusting ... , i'm
reluclant to use it, i'm starting to learn a lot with freeradius, and won't
change it.

If it's true, i wonder why this brand (and model) of switch, been so
expensive, needs an extra license to do something which is free with others
(cisco, 3com, etc ) ?

Well i'm dissappointed, maybe someone from Alcatel could give me a better
explanation.

Best regards to all of you.

Oxiel