Problems with rlm_sqlcounter

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Feb 12 07:36:57 CET 2007

Tas Dionisakos wrote:
> After many months of fault finding Im still in the dark about the
> counter not understanding values greater that 2 gigabytes.

  The last message you sent me, and the debug log below, shows that the
SQL database is returning NOTHING if the counter is more than 2G.

  Please explain how "fixing" the counter module will make the SQL
database return the value you need.  Again, right now it's returning
NOTHING.

  Update the SQL schema to handle numbers larger than 2G.  See the SQL
documentation for how to do this.

> rlm_sql (sql): sql_set_user escaped user --> 'duler.peter'
> radius_xlat: 'SELECT SUM(AcctOutputOctets) FROM radacct where
> UserName='duler.peter''
> rlm_sql (sql): Reserving sql socket id: 3
> rlm_sql (sql): row[0] returned NULL
> rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 3
> radius_xlat: ''
> rlm_sqlcounter: (Check item - counter) is less than zero

  Should I fix rlm_sqlcounter to print out a message saying "SQL module
returned nothing.  Impossible to do any counting!"

  Would that let you believe it's not a FreeRADIUS problem?