EAP-PEAP/MS-ChapV2 password storing options

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Mon Feb 12 20:21:08 CET 2007

Hi All,

I'm sure this is a simple question, and I thought I'd pose it here in hopes
of a quick response.

We're trying to implement username/password authentication and so far are
using EAP-PAP (with secureW2 client) because our passwords are stored in
LDAP in a 1-way encrypted hash.

We're hoping to get away from this secureW2 implementation and would like to
use Windows built-in authentication, which seems to be EAP-PEAP with
MS-ChapV2 authentication.

As such, we're meeting with the LDAP folks to negotiate how to store
passwords in LDAP...soo...my question is:

In order to get EAP-PEAP/MS-ChapV2 to work with FreeRadius, what are my
options for storing the password in LDAP? Does it have to be clear-text?

Thanks

Matt
mda at unb.ca