a problem about radius and ldap [SOLVED]

Ramazan Ulker ulkerra at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 07:45:30 CET 2007

Hi
Sorry for too many mails. Problem solved by setting identity and password in
radius.conf with proper user in ldap. I managed to get User-Password from
ldap at the end as shown below.

rlm_ldap: Added password ramazan in check items
rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
rlm_ldap: Adding userpassword as User-Password, value ramazan & op=21
rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelPrivateGroupId as Tunnel-Private-Group-Id,
value 2 & op=11
rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelMediumType as Tunnel-Medium-Type, value 6 &
op=11
rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelType as Tunnel-Type, value VLAN & op=11
rlm_ldap: Adding radiusClass as Class, value employee & op=11
rlm_ldap: user ramazan authorized to use remote access
rlm_ldap: ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for request 1
modcall: leaving group authorize (returns updated) for request 1
rad_check_password: Found Auth-Type EAP
auth: type "EAP"
Processing the authenticate section of radiusd.conf
modcall: entering group authenticate for request 1
rlm_eap: Request found, released from the list
rlm_eap: EAP/md5
rlm_eap: processing type md5
rlm_eap: Freeing handler
modcall[authenticate]: module "eap" returns ok for request 1
modcall: leaving group authenticate (returns ok) for request 1
Login OK: [ramazan/<no User-Password attribute>] (from client ldapsrv port
50001 cli 00-12-79-AE-D2-4D)
On 1/29/07, Ramazan Ulker <ulkerra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm working on 802.1x implementation(cisco 2950, freeradius, ldap), i face
a problem. First of all, defining users and passwords in users file in raddb
works well with md5 authentication. Then i tried to use ldap, then with
radtest i get accept-accept packet. But while authenticating from xp client
with md5-challenge, I got

> Auth:rlm_ldap:Attribute "User-Password" is required for authentication
>
> error. In one of the e-mail you said don't authenticate from ldap, but
with radtest function i get success!!! The passwords are kept clear text.
I'm looking forward to getting your help. I also send radius debug log.

> [...]
>
> main: hostname_lookups = no
>
> main: max_request_time = 30
>
> main: cleanup_delay = 5
>
> main: max_requests = 1024
>
> main: delete_blocked_requests = 0
>
> main: port = 0
>
> main: allow_core_dumps = no
>
> main: log_stripped_names = yes
>
> main: log_file = "/var/log/radius/radius.log"
>
> main: log_auth = yes
>
> main: log_auth_badpass = yes
>
> main: log_auth_goodpass = yes
>
> main: pidfile = "/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.pid"
>
> main: user = "radiusd"
>
> main: group = "radiusd"
>
> main: usercollide = no
>
> main: lower_user = "no"
>
> main: lower_pass = "no"
>
> main: nospace_user = "no"
>
> main: nospace_pass = "no"
>
> main: checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
>
> main: proxy_requests = yes
>
> proxy: retry_delay = 5
>
> proxy: retry_count = 3
>
> proxy: synchronous = no
>
> proxy: default_fallback = yes
>
> proxy: dead_time = 120
>
> proxy: post_proxy_authorize = yes
>
> proxy: wake_all_if_all_dead = no
>
> security: max_attributes = 200
>
> security: reject_delay = 1
>
> security: status_server = no
>
> main: debug_level = 0
>
> read_config_files: reading dictionary
>
> read_config_files: reading naslist
>
> read_config_files: reading clients
>
> read_config_files: reading realms
>
> radiusd: entering modules setup
>
> Module: Library search path is /usr/lib/freeradius
>
> Module: Loaded expr
>
> Module: Instantiated expr (expr)
>
> Module: Loaded PAP
>
> pap: encryption_scheme = "crypt"
>
> Module: Instantiated pap (pap)
>
> Module: Loaded CHAP
>
> Module: Instantiated chap (chap)
>
> Module: Loaded MS-CHAP
>
> mschap: use_mppe = yes
>
> mschap: require_encryption = no
>
> mschap: require_strong = no
>
> mschap: passwd = "(null)"
>
> mschap: authtype = "MS-CHAP"
>
> Module: Instantiated mschap (mschap)
>
> Module: Loaded System
>
> unix: cache = no
>
> unix: passwd = "(null)"
>
> unix: shadow = "(null)"
>
> unix: group = "(null)"
>
> unix: radwtmp = "/var/log/radius/radwtmp"
>
> unix: usegroup = no
>
> unix: cache_reload = 600
>
> Module: Instantiated unix (unix)
>
> Module: Loaded LDAP
>
> ldap: server = "192.168.100.18"
>
> ldap: port = 389
>
> ldap: net_timeout = 1
>
> ldap: timeout = 4
>
> ldap: timelimit = 3
>
> ldap: identity = ""
>
> ldap: start_tls = no
>
> ldap: password = ""
>
> ldap: basedn = "dc=dot1x.com"
>
> ldap: filter = "(uid=%{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name}})"
>
> ldap: default_profile = "(null)"
>
> ldap: profile_attribute = "(null)"
>
> ldap: password_header = "(null)"
>
> ldap: password_attribute = "userPassword"

"(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=%{Ldap-UserDn}))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=%{Ldap-UserDn})))"

> ldap: groupmembership_attribute = "radiusGroupName"
>
> ldap: dictionary_mapping = "/etc/raddb/ldap.attrmap"
>
> ldap: ldap_debug = 0
>
> ldap: ldap_connections_number = 5
>
> ldap: compare_check_items = no
>
> ldap: access_attr_used_for_allow = yes
>
> conns: (nil)
>
> rlm_ldap: reading ldap<->radius mappings from file /etc/raddb/ldap.attrmap
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCheckItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusReplyItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusAuthType mapped to RADIUS Auth-Type
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSimultaneousUse mapped to RADIUS Simultaneous-Use
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCalledStationId mapped to RADIUS Called-Station-Id
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallingStationId mapped to RADIUS Calling-Station-Id
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP lmPassword mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP ntPassword mapped to RADIUS NT-Password
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP acctFlags mapped to RADIUS SMB-Account-CTRL-TEXT
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusExpiration mapped to RADIUS Expiration
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusServiceType mapped to RADIUS Service-Type
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedProtocol mapped to RADIUS Framed-Protocol
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPAddress mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Address
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPNetmask mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Netmask
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRoute mapped to RADIUS Framed-Route
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRouting mapped to RADIUS Framed-Routing
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFilterId mapped to RADIUS Filter-Id
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedMTU mapped to RADIUS Framed-MTU
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedCompression mapped to RADIUS Framed-Compression
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginIPHost mapped to RADIUS Login-IP-Host
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginService mapped to RADIUS Login-Service
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginTCPPort mapped to RADIUS Login-TCP-Port
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackNumber mapped to RADIUS Callback-Number
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackId mapped to RADIUS Callback-Id
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPXNetwork mapped to RADIUS Framed-IPX-Network
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusClass mapped to RADIUS Class
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSessionTimeout mapped to RADIUS Session-Timeout
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusIdleTimeout mapped to RADIUS Idle-Timeout
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTerminationAction mapped to RADIUS Termination-Action
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATService mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Service
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATNode mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Node
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATGroup mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Group
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkLink mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Link

> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkNetwork mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Network

> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkZone mapped to RADIUS
Framed-AppleTalk-Zone

> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusPortLimit mapped to RADIUS Port-Limit
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATPort mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Port
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP userPassword mapped to RADIUS User-Password
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelType mapped to RADIUS Tunnel-Type
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelMediumType mapped to RADIUS Tunnel-Medium-Type
>
> rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelPrivateGroupId mapped to RADIUS
Tunnel-Private-Group-Id

> conns: 0x8101f58
>
> Module: Instantiated ldap (ldap)
>
> Module: Loaded eap
>
> eap: default_eap_type = "md5"
>
> eap: timer_expire = 60
>
> rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized the type md5
>
> rlm_eap: Loaded and initialized the type leap
>
> Module: Instantiated eap (eap)
>
> Module: Loaded preprocess
>
> preprocess: huntgroups = "/etc/raddb/huntgroups"
>
> preprocess: hints = "/etc/raddb/hints"
>
> preprocess: with_ascend_hack = no
>
> preprocess: ascend_channels_per_line = 23
>
> preprocess: with_ntdomain_hack = no
>
> preprocess: with_specialix_jetstream_hack = no
>
> preprocess: with_cisco_vsa_hack = no
>
> Module: Instantiated preprocess (preprocess)
>
> Module: Loaded realm
>
> realm: format = "suffix"
>
> realm: delimiter = "@"
>
> Module: Instantiated realm (suffix)
>
> Module: Loaded files
>
> files: usersfile = "/etc/raddb/users"
>
> files: acctusersfile = "/etc/raddb/acct_users"
>
> files: preproxy_usersfile = "/etc/raddb/preproxy_users"
>
> files: compat = "no"
>
> Module: Instantiated files (files)
>
> Module: Loaded Acct-Unique-Session-Id
>
> acct_unique: key = "User-Name, Acct-Session-Id, NAS-IP-Address,
Client-IP-Address, NAS-Port-Id"

> Module: Instantiated acct_unique (acct_unique)
>
> Module: Loaded detail
>
> detail: detailfile =
"/var/log/radius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail-%Y%m%d"

> detail: detailperm = 384
>
> detail: dirperm = 493
>
> detail: locking = no
>
> Module: Instantiated detail (detail)
>
> Module: Loaded radutmp
>
> radutmp: filename = "/var/log/radius/radutmp"
>
> radutmp: username = "%{User-Name}"
>
> radutmp: case_sensitive = yes
>
> radutmp: check_with_nas = yes
>
> radutmp: perm = 384
>
> radutmp: callerid = yes
>
> Module: Instantiated radutmp (radutmp)
>
> Listening on IP address *, ports 1812/udp and 1813/udp, with proxy on
1814/udp.

> Ready to process requests.
>
> rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 192.168.100.17:1812, id=11,
length=129

> NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.100.17
>
> NAS-Port = 50001
>
> NAS-Port-Type = Ethernet
>
> User-Name = "ramazan"
>
> Called-Station-Id = "00-0F-8F-77-DB-81"
>
> Calling-Station-Id = "00-12-79-AE-D2-4D"
>
> Service-Type = Framed-User
>
> Framed-MTU = 1500
>
> EAP-Message = 0x0200000c0172616d617a616e
>
> Message-Authenticator = 0x68c41631d4feb2234d900b37a9845348
>
> modcall: entering group authorize for request 0
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "preprocess" returns ok for request 0
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "chap" returns noop for request 0
>
> rlm_eap: EAP packet type notification id 0 length 12
>
> rlm_eap: EAP Start not found
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "eap" returns updated for request 0
>
> rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "ramazan", looking up realm NULL
>
> rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "suffix" returns noop for request 0
>
> users: Matched DEFAULT at 152
>
> rlm_ldap: Entering ldap_groupcmp()
>
> radius_xlat: 'dc=dot1x.com'
>
> radius_xlat: '(uid=ramazan)'
>
> ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
>
> rlm_ldap: attempting LDAP reconnection
>
> rlm_ldap: (re)connect to 192.168.100.18:389, authentication 0
>
> rlm_ldap: bind as / to 192.168.100.18:389
>
> rlm_ldap: waiting for bind result ...
>
> rlm_ldap: performing search in dc=dot1x.com, with filter (uid=ramazan)
>
> ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
>
> radius_xlat:
'(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=uid=ramazan,cn=users,cn=idc,dc=
dot1x.com))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=uid=ramazan,cn=users,cn=idc,dc=
dot1x.com)))'

> ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
>
> rlm_ldap: performing search in dc=dot1x.com, with filter
(&(cn=VPN)(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=uid=ramazan,cn=users,cn=idc,dc=
dot1x.com))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=uid=ramazan,cn=users,cn=idc,dc=
dot1x.com))))

> rlm_ldap: object not found or got ambiguous search result
>
> ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
>
> ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
>
> rlm_ldap: performing search in uid=ramazan,cn=users,cn=idc,dc=dot1x.com,
with filter (objectclass=*)

> rlm_ldap::ldap_groupcmp: User found in group VPN
>
> ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
>
> users: Matched DEFAULT at 171
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "files" returns ok for request 0
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "mschap" returns noop for request 0
>
> rlm_ldap: - authorize
>
> rlm_ldap: performing user authorization for ramazan
>
> radius_xlat: '(uid=ramazan)'
>
> radius_xlat: 'dc=dot1x.com'
>
> ldap_get_conn: Got Id: 0
>
> rlm_ldap: performing search in dc=dot1x.com, with filter (uid=ramazan)
>
> rlm_ldap: checking if remote access for ramazan is allowed by
radiusgroupname

> rlm_ldap: looking for check items in directory...
>
> rlm_ldap: Adding radiusAuthType as Auth-Type, value ldap & op=21
>
> rlm_ldap: looking for reply items in directory...
>
> rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelPrivateGroupId as Tunnel-Private-Group-Id,
value 2 & op=11

> rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelMediumType as Tunnel-Medium-Type, value 6 &
op=11

> rlm_ldap: Adding radiusTunnelType as Tunnel-Type, value VLAN & op=11
>
> rlm_ldap: Adding radiusClass as Class, value group-net & op=11
>
> rlm_ldap: user ramazan authorized to use remote access
>
> ldap_release_conn: Release Id: 0
>
> modcall[authorize]: module "ldap" returns ok for request 0
>
> modcall: group authorize returns updated for request 0
>
> rad_check_password: Found Auth-Type ldap
>
> auth: type "LDAP"
>
> modcall: entering group Auth-Type for request 0
>
> rlm_ldap: - authenticate
>
> rlm_ldap: Attribute "User-Password" is required for authentication.
>
> modcall[authenticate]: module "ldap" returns invalid for request 0
>
> modcall: group Auth-Type returns invalid for request 0
>
> auth: Failed to validate the user.
>
> Login incorrect: [ramazan/<no User-Password attribute>] (from client
radius port 50001 cli 00-12-79-AE-D2-4D)