FreeRADIUS + LVS problem

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Tue Feb 20 11:47:56 CET 2007

Alan DeKok wrote:

> Peter Nixon wrote:
>
> > On the other hand testing MySQL from another script is not a huge pain...
>
>   Yup.  If you want to know if an SQL server is up, there are existing
> tools to test that.  Personally, I would test:
>
>   a) RADIUS via Status-Server
>   b) SQL via sql client
>   c) "test" user via Access-Request
>
>   If you just do (c), you have no idea if the problem is the RADIUS
> server or the SQL server.  Not that it matters to a NAS, of course, but
> it matters to an administrator.

That's completely true. I note the discussion started with a question
about LVS, not a question about RADIUS supervision in general.

>From the LVS server point of view, I think the test (c) is the most
useful, because there's no point to send traffic to a node if it
fails to authorize a user, whatever the reason is.

The tests (a) and (b) are useful to the administrators, but I don't
think they're to be run by the load balancing server. They could
be run by general purpose supervision tools like Nagios.

--
Nicolas Baradakis