Strange problems in large proxy setup

Kostas Zorbadelos kzorba at otenet.gr
Mon Feb 26 10:21:54 CET 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:09:43AM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Kostas Zorbadelos wrote:

Hi Alan,

> > By 'debugging mode' I guess you are referring to radiusd -xxx or
> > something is that correct? Could this affect the authentication
> > service for our customers?
>
>   Use "radiusd -X", and no, it won't affect service.

we are talking about a setup that services tens of thousands of
requests (hundreds per second maybe). If I am not mistaking radiusd -X
will run freeradius in
single threaded mode. In our normal mode of operation freeradius has
65 threads servicing requests. Won't this affect service?

> > I was thinking
> > something in the lines of changing the freeradius config to log the
> > packets going to the home server and their replies (detail_log module
> > in pre_proxy and post_proxy stages).
>
>   That would be good, too.
>
> > Has anyone else noticed this behaviour in a large load proxy setup?
>
>   I haven't heard of it.

This is indeed a very difficult situation to debug. The problem
behaviour does not appear in a low volume load. I believe it has to do
with the increased load (and the fact that the home FUNK radius delays
the servicing of requests I think).
I will try to give as much debugging input as possible and I will also
review the server's code.

>   Alan DeKok.

Kostas Zorbadelos