Strange behaviour of freeradius...?

apolyxrono apolyxrono at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 01:22:26 CET 2007

Hi list ,

I have set up a wlan using : freeradius-1.1.4
(peap-eap/mschapv2-authentication), AccessPoint-3Com7250 and windows xp
wireless users.  My AP  has the option for accounting and i have set it
on. I logged the accounting info in the radius database in the radacct
table to be more specific. When a wireless user connected to the wlan i
am executing the following sql query:

select  UserName , NASIPAddress , AcctStartTime , AcctStopTime ,
AcctSessionTime , AcctInputOctets , AcctOutputOctets from radacct ;

 and the output is :

+----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+-----------------+-----------------+------------------+
| UserName | NASIPAddress | AcctStartTime       | AcctStopTime        |
AcctSessionTime | AcctInputOctets | AcctOutputOctets |
+----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+-----------------+-----------------+------------------+
| sony     | 10.0.0.10    | 2007-01-15 22:33:12 | 0000-00-00 00:00:00
|            41 |            718 |             164 |
+----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+-----------------+-----------------+------------------+

After
If the user select from his wireless card software to disconnect from
the specific wlan and  make the same query to the database i can see
that the AcctStopTime have a specific value and accounting for this user
has stopped.  However if  the user  does not  use his/her wireless
software to disconnect  from the wlan  and tun-off  the  wlan switcher
of his/her card  the  accounting is continued (AcctSessionTime is
counting) on freeradius  but  the  AcctInputOctets and AcctOutputOctets
stop counting.  Why is that happening ? How should i know when the user
is connected in the wlan and the user was just turned-off his/her switch
of wlan ?

thanks