Strange behaviour of freeradius...?

Polyxronopoulos Adreas apolyxrono at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 16:40:29 CET 2007

Tas Dionisakos wrote:
> Why dont you have the "seession-idel" attribute set, so that when no
> bytes are transfered for a certain period of time the connection is
> terminated?
>
> Tas.
>

> Peter Nixon wrote:
>> On Tue 16 Jan 2007 02:22, apolyxrono wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list ,
>>>

>>> I have set up a wlan using : freeradius-1.1.4
>>> (peap-eap/mschapv2-authentication), AccessPoint-3Com7250 and windows xp
>>> wireless users.  My AP  has the option for accounting and i have set it
>>> on. I logged the accounting info in the radius database in the radacct
>>> table to be more specific. When a wireless user connected to the wlan i
>>> am executing the following sql query:
>>>
>>> select  UserName , NASIPAddress , AcctStartTime , AcctStopTime ,
>>> AcctSessionTime , AcctInputOctets , AcctOutputOctets from radacct ;
>>>

>>>  and the output is :
>>>

>>> +----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+---
>>>
>>> --------------+-----------------+------------------+
>>>
>>> | UserName | NASIPAddress | AcctStartTime       | AcctStopTime        |
>>>
>>> AcctSessionTime | AcctInputOctets | AcctOutputOctets |
>>> +----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+---
>>>
>>> --------------+-----------------+------------------+

>>> |            41 |            718 |             164 |
>>>
>>> +----------+--------------+---------------------+---------------------+---
>>>
>>> --------------+-----------------+------------------+
>>>
>>> After
>>> If the user select from his wireless card software to disconnect from
>>> the specific wlan and  make the same query to the database i can see
>>> that the AcctStopTime have a specific value and accounting for this
>>> user
>>> has stopped.  However if  the user  does not  use his/her wireless
>>> software to disconnect  from the wlan  and tun-off  the  wlan switcher
>>> of his/her card  the  accounting is continued (AcctSessionTime is
>>> counting) on freeradius  but  the  AcctInputOctets and AcctOutputOctets
>>> stop counting.  Why is that happening ? How should i know when the user
>>> is connected in the wlan and the user was just turned-off his/her
>>> switch
>>> of wlan ?
>>>

>> If your NAS does not tell radius that the user has disconnected
>> RADIUS will not know....

Hi Tas, Peter , James and thanks for your reply ,

I noticed that when the wireless user turned-off his wireless card the
AP stores him/her Mac-Address for 10 minutes in a table (station table)
and then dropped the Mac-Address. However freeradius continued to do
accounting for this user over 2 hours. I read about the Idle - Timeout
attribute but i don't know how to set it on. I authenticate my users
from the local file users. Do you think my AP doesn't say nothing to
freeradius after the mac-address drop? There is nothing in the AP
web-configuration which could set it on and solve the problem. If the
problem is the nas there is not a solution ?

Thanks a lot for your time....