Splitting the password field in freeRADIUS

Drumm, Daniel dgdrumm at bf.umich.edu
Thu Jan 25 20:51:37 CET 2007

Dan Geist explained what it was I am trying to do. His suggestion is the
way I will look, to use a perl module to split the authentication.

Time for some ASCII Art (bad)

NAS ---> FR

(this field passes the password via RADIUS/PAP, and is the securID
tokencode + kerberos pwd.)

( ex: user:jdoe pwd:549872MyPassword )

FR then splits the first 6 characters, and sends the authentication to
the RADIUS listener that RSA bundles with Auth Mgr 6.1.

FR ----> RSA-AuthMgr-RADIUS-listener

|-------> Campus Kerberos RADIUS server

It then sends the campus Kerberos password (i.e. MyPassword) to the
campus RADIUS server that front ends the Kerberos system.

Since RADIUS is an async network protocol, Freeradius will have to set
timers and wait for each to be successful before returning an accept to
the NAS for the RADIUS request which it proxied. As Dan explained, this
will probably be independent PAM calls to the two methods.

Could be tricky.

Dan @ UM.

----

Message: 2