AD + Static IP Address

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 10 23:09:36 CEST 2007

tnt at kalik.co.yu wrote:
> Check the attribute format. InetAddr shouldn't be doing that.

  It's Microsoft.
>> I'm assigning these ip addresses in Active Directory through
>> msRadiusFramedIPAdrress attribute.
>> Users with static ip address of 85.X are getting their static ip
>> addresses, but not users in 192.X range. (they get 255.255.255.255)
>> After digging for a while I noticed I could assigned ip addresses up to
>> 127.255.255.255 and get the ip assigned.
>> Right after 128.0.0.0 the static ip will not get assigned to the user.
>> Apparently the 4 byte integer in the active directory for
>> msRadiusFramedIPAddress is being treated as a signed integer, so
>> anything more then 127.255.255.255 is treated as a negative value and an
>> invalid value.

  i.e. When FreeRADIUS queries the Microsoft software for the IP
address, it doesn't get "1.2.3.4".  It sometimes gets "123456789", and
it sometimes gets "-345567890".

  Unix systems can deal with IP addresses.  They can treat large hex or
decimal numbers as IP addresses.  But they draw the line at negative
numbers.

>> Is there a setting to treat this 4 byte as an unsigned integer? A
>> setting?
>> Or this is a bug?
>> Thank you in advance,

  It's a bug in the Microsoft software.

>> And thank you for this great software :)

  Thanks.