NAC

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 13 14:19:19 CEST 2007

Phil Mayers wrote:
> I haven't been following the NEA so their work might be rubbish,

  <cough>  Absolutely NOT.  *Never*.  It will solve _all_ the problems
of NAC.

> but the
> untrusted client-side nature of the software does not make it
> intrinsically worthless - the reason being that for someone to trick out
> the software, they have to EXPLICITLY install and configure some other
> software, which is a clear AUP violation and when detected (a system
> asserts it is patched gets hacked) can be dealt with at the appropriate
> level of severity with the organisations administrative (not technical)
> group.

  NAC is largely trying to solve a problem that is 3-4 steps away from
the current administrator's work.

  1) What's on my network -> many people don't know
  2) What OS's are on my network
  3) are they up to date
  4) if so, virus, etc. matters rather a lot less.