Reccomended switches for dynamic vlans

Arran Cudbard-Bell A.Cudbard-Bell at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 14:27:47 CEST 2007

Phil Mayers wrote:
>>> Nortel (untested)
>>>

>> Are Notel still in buisiness ? I heard they invested heavily in mobile
>> interweb and went bust.
>>

> No, they're still in business. The products we looked at recently are
> fairly new.

Thats good to know, they used to be pretty big players in the UK.
I know there big UK research centre/hq near Harlow closed down a few
years back. Quite sad really.
>>> You really want to be looking for a few key differentiators such as:
>>>
>>>  * can the device support 802.1x & mac-based fallback at the same time?
>>>

>> Yes !!!
>> The issue that I have with most of the current switches, is that they
>> can't fallback to mac based auth...
>>

> Really? I didn't do the testing personally, but I'm fairly sure most of
> the ones we tested did support it.
>
> Certainly 3Com, Cisco and Extreme do.

Unfortunately we didn't really have a choice, as all the 300 odd
deployed edge switches were HP, and there was no way we would get
funding to replace them all.
Also previous experience with both 3Com and Cisco , saw them both
removed permanently from our proffered suppliers list.

>>>  * if so, can it assign separate untagged vlans to each client?
>>>  * can the device assign IP ACLs from Radius replies?
>>>  * can the device assign 1 untagged and >1 tagged vlans (think wlan aps)
>>>

>> I don't think many will allow you to assign multiple tagged VLANS, most
>> centre around assigning one untagged VLAN... though that would be a very
>> neat feature.
>>

> Extreme can.

Well extreme looks like a good bet then.
Though it looks like all their wireless stuff is centrally managed,
which is probably why we didn't investigate them.