RLM_PERL Integration Issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 18 10:24:19 CEST 2007

FreeRadius-ML wrote:
>   Now, I'm basically re-learning everything, as the world of OpenSER + FreeRadius is a little new to me,
> and sometimes frustrates me. The amount of documentation in the configuration files is great, but the lack
> of updated examples is somewhat annoying. Even Asterisk, which is one of the most undocumented environments
> in the world, has more configuration examples available.

  The majority of FreeRADIUS installations put users & password into SQL
or LDAP, and then don't touch it ever again.  For them, the existing
examples are mostly OK.

  For *complex* scenarios, RADIUS quickly gets more complicated than
DNS, DHCP, Web servers, and (I suspect) Asterisk.  There just isn't
enough space in the world to document every configuration that everyone
needs.

>   In any case, lets go back to what we were discussing. If I understand you correctly, on the FreeRadius side,
> I only need to enable digest based authentication and authorization, define the user in the users file - and that
> should be working just fine?

  Yes.  The entire *point* of the default configuration is to have as
many authentication protocols as possible work... just by defining a
user and password.  See:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/pap.html

  When 2.0 is released, defining a username & password will cause the
following authentication methods to work:

    * PAP
    * CHAP
    * MS-CHAP
    * Digest
    * EAP-MD5
    * EAP-MSCHAPv2
    * Cisco LEAP
    * PEAP-MSCHAPv2
    * PEAP-GTC
    * EAP-TTLS with
       * PAP
       * CHAP
       * MS-CHAP
       * EAP-MD5
       * EAP-MSCHAPv2

  Try *that* with any other program: "I added one line in a
configuration file, and VOIP works, WiFi works, dial-up works, PPPoE
works, VPN's work, for Apple, Windows, and Linux".  No fighting, no fuss.