conflict with other services?

Hugh Messenger hugh at alaweb.com
Fri Jul 20 22:43:05 CEST 2007

Doug Hardie said:

> While that may not be all of the issues, debug mode uses a lot of
> disk I/O.  You might be getting delays accessing mail files from
> this.  You need to figure out why it doesn't run as a service.  I
> have been using it in service mode for years with no problems.

Yup, that occurred to me as I wrote it.  As is usually the case, summarizing
a problem for other people tends help see things clearer yourself.  So
that's definitely the next step, ahead of cutting PAM out of the loop.  If I
understand how ntlm_auth works, it'll still use winbind, but I hope I can at
least remove PAM from the equation.

I'm about to fire up valgrind and see if 1.1.7 fixes the run-as-service
problem.  I know 2.0 does, I have a test setup on the hot spare for the
mail/radius box, but I'm just not quite brave enough to run 2.0 live yet.

I did report the run-as-service problem on this list a month or so back, but
it boiled down to a case of "Hmmm, it shouldn't do that".

   -- hugh