Proxy - Stop Responding

Keiko Higa khiga123 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:12:31 CEST 2007

Good Afternoon,

I have a Freeradius (1.1.5) running on a server (1G RAM, double processor) as a Proxy Radius, on a production enviroment to AAA VOIP calls.

At peak hours, the Radius stop responding.  I cannot see any message on the log, just stop working.
I have to kill/load manually in order to work again. Then, it appeared a message:
     "Error: Error receiving packet: Interrupted system call"

I disabled all the logs (detail, pre_proxy_log, post_proxy_log), authorize/authenticate (chap, pap, etc), tunning some parameters like max_requests, thread pool, cleanup_delay, etc.

Not running exec, hostname_lookups = no, etc.. Nothing special.

The only thing I configured is: preproxy_users (in order to change de NAS-IP-Address), suffix (to identify the realm).

At peak hours, one of the radius (behind the proxy) takes up to 14 seconds to answer. When it happens, there's a message in  the logs like "Dropping conflicting packet from....". But not always, I mean, sometimes Radius stops working but there's no delay.

So, what's going on?...Can somebody help me?

Just in case, these are the values for most of the parameters:
    max_request_time = 20
    delete_blocked_requests = no
    cleanup_delay = 2
    max_requests = 2560
    thread pool {            start_servers = 10
            max_servers = 50
            min_spare_servers = 10            max_spare_servers = 10
            max_requests_per_server = 250        }
    instantiate {
        }
    authorize {        preprocess        suffix        }
    authenticate {
        }
    preacct {        preprocess        acct_unique        suffix        }
    accounting {
        }
    session {
        }