Freeradius + DHCP +vlans ???

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 15:14:06 CEST 2007

> My thinking from what you said is to setup the vlans/tunnels  on the
> access point, setup freeradius and then run a dhcp server on the old
> computer.  If i want to add the dhcp server to many virtual lans do i
> need to create some sort of virtual interface for each?  Or does the
> router need to be aware of where to forward dhcp packets coming from
> different vlans?

Yes. If you're running linux, you can create them manually:

vconfig set_name_type DEV_PLUS_VID
vconfig add eth0 10
ifconfig eth0.10 up
ifconfig eth0.10 address 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0

...better yet, most Linux distributions have vlan-aware init scripts
e.g. on Fedora/Redhat:

echo "VLAN=yes" >>/etc/sysconfig/network
cat >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.10 <<EOF
DEVICE=eth0.10
IPADDR=10.10.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
EOF

# Don't forget you need to enable IP forwarding e.g.
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
# ...or maybe edit /etc/sysctl.conf

I suggest you look at the docs for the networking setup on your OS.