SQLIPPool performance issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 26 19:53:46 CEST 2007

Roy Walker wrote:
> Ok chaning the indexes definately made some difference.  The database load still went off the charts, but the radius logs were much better with DB errors connect errors.  This still seems horribly slow.

  The problem is that RADIUS servers take less time to do things than an
SQL server needs.  So when you hammer the RADIUS server with requests,
the SQL server is getting 5-10x the load.

> Here is the command I am using to test: /radclient -p 2 -d /usr/src/freeradius-server-snapshot-20070725/share -f /tmp/radclient-test 1.1.1.10 auth testing123
> Where the radclient-test file has 5000 client requests seperated by the necessary blank lines.

  FreeRADIUS should really be a little smarter about loading the SQL
server.  But it's a very hard problem to solve in a good way.

  i.e. "if SQL server is busy, stop processing the current request, BUT
remember to wake up later to keep processing it."

  The only real solution is to get a bigger machine to handle the
database, OR slow down on the RADIUS traffic.