Adding a NAS via SQL

Hugh Messenger hugh at alaweb.com
Sun Jul 29 18:50:05 CEST 2007

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk said:
> how about updating the NAS list from SQL via, for example, an SNMP write
> command
> or a special RADIUS command packet. both of these could have security
> protection
> to prevent DoS (eg the SNMP write from only certain locations (firewalled)
> and
> has password too of course... the RADIUS command packet could have a
> shared
> secret requirement and/or use the FR unlang/attribute protections for
> access/accept

I'd settle for having it reload on a configurable amount of time ...

	# time between NAS table reloads if using SQL
	# default is 1 hour
	# set to 0 to disable NAS table reloading
	nas_table_reload_time = 1h

So each request FR handles would start with this pseudo-code ...

if (nas_table_reload_time AND (last_nas_table_read < (NOW -
nas_table_reload_time))
{
	reload_nas_table();
	last_nas_table_read = NOW;
}

IMHO this would be a good compromise.  Easy to implement (for someone like
Alan!), very low impact on the server (with the default setting), and allows
the admin to set the reload time that suits their site.  I'd set mine to
24h, as I hardly ever change my NAS setup, but some folk might need 15m if
they have high NAS turnover.

> alan

   -- hugh