Using the various User-Password, Chap-Password, etc... with MySQL

liran tal liransgarage at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 20:22:42 CEST 2007

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone can clearly explain the use of different
Password attributes when they're used in a scenario where MySQL is involved.

The basic case of User-Password is clear.
When the attribute in the radcheck table is User-Password then it's value is
the password in clear text and the op is ==

What about Cleartext-Password? I've added this attribute with op of := and
value password in clear text and used radtest as a test, and it results in
just re-transmission of Access-Request queries, and basically not working.

What about Chap-Password, MD5-Password, SHA1-Password, what are their
corresponding values and op like?

As a side note, I remember reading somewhere the use of the
PASSWORD('somepass') function
in MySQL for radcheck's password attributes but I'm really not sure in which
context was it.

Thanks,
Lir.